- Dental care has been consistently ranked as one of the top unmet needs for the population experiencing homelessness, due to factors such as a lack of access to affordable dental care and oral health education.
- Poor oral hygiene can lead to a variety of health problems such as gum disease, infection, bone loss, heart disease, strokes and more.
- Poor dentition or missing teeth may also result in impaired speech, a loss of confidence and leave individuals at a significant disadvantage when seeking employment.
The Partnership’s Smiles Work! Dental Program helps to restore the oral health of the program participants and to repair dentition so it is no longer a barrier to seeking and securing gainful employment. Typical dental services provided at the on-site clinic include:
- Deep cleanings, fillings and extractions.
- Restorative services, such as composite and amalgam fillings.
- Diagnosis and treatment of diseases, injuries and malformations of the teeth and mouth.
- X-rays and screening for oral cancer.
- Education about the importance of maintaining oral health.
- 400 patients were seen at the on-site clinic.
- 2,005 patient encounters occurred.
- 8,278 dental procedures were performed.
Funders & Partners
The Batchelor Foundation
Coventry Health Care of Florida
Health Foundation of South Florida